2 medium sweet potatoes
½ cup raw cashews
½ cup plus 2 tablespoons full-fat coconut milk
¼ cup nutritional yeast
¼ teaspoon sea salt
Pinch of garlic powder
Pinch of black pepper
½ cup non-dairy cheese shreds
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
10 ounces sliced cremini mushrooms
1 shallot, chopped
4 cups fresh spinach
½ cup onion, minced
1½ pounds ground turkey (8% fat)
½ teaspoon garlic powder
15 ounces tomato sauce
Salt & pepper to taste
¼ cup dairy-free cheese
- Soak cashews in 2 cups of very warm water for 4 hours. Drain and rinse.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Wash, peel and slice the sweet potatoes very thinly with a mandolin so they’re uniform. You should almost be able to see through them.
- In a high-powdered blender, process the cashews, coconut milk, nutritional yeast, salt, garlic powder and pepper until completely smooth. Stir in cheese. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, sauté the oil and garlic over medium heat for 1 minute. Add the mushrooms and shallot and cook for 7-8 minutes. Stir in the spinach until just wilted. Drain any excess liquid. Transfer to a bowl and let cool for a few minutes, then stir in the cheese sauce.
- Coat the same skillet with nonstick cooking spray and add the onion. Sauté for about 5 minutes, deglazing the pan with water, if needed. Add the turkey and garlic powder and cook on medium until the turkey is no longer pink (about 6 minutes). Stir in the tomato sauce and salt and pepper.
- Coat a 7-by-11-inch casserole dish with cooking spray. Lay down one layer of sweet potatoes covering the bottom of the dish. Spoon half the cheese-mushroom mixture on top and spread end to end. Spoon half the meat mixture on top. Cover with another layer of potato slices. Repeat with remaining sauce and meat. Top with one last layer of potatoes and sprinkle with remaining cheese, if desired.
- Cover with foil and bake for 40 minutes. Remove foil and return to oven for 15 minutes. Let sit for 15 minutes before slicing.
Yield: 6 servings
Serving Size: 1/6th recipe
Prep Time: 30 min
Cook Time: 55 min