Getting into great shape for your holiday is one thing but staying there is quite another. Team Monster Ambassador Zane Boknmeldere shares with you her top tips!
The summer holidays are here! It has come around so quick!
Here are some simple yet important tips on how to make the most of your food and avoid over indulging to stay fit during your holiday and weekends over this season.
1. I would suggest you always go for the higher protein, lower carbohydrate meal options
Here are some tips:
• Stick to clean protein sources such as turkey, chicken, seafood and lean steak.
• Eat lots of vegetables, fresh salads and fruit as these will fill you up and they are full of fibre, vitamins and minerals.
• Avoid starchy carbohydrates such as potatoes, grains, pasta and bread, as these may make you feel sluggish and bloated, which is not what you want when hitting the beach party or day out on the beach. Go for rice.
2. To make sure the food you eat that day doesn’t get stored as excess fat and have a high metabolic workout to kick-start your day!. I recommend 20-30 minutes of very intense training with weights and intervals combined with minimal rest periods. You have to be realistic with your workout times over the holiday period and equally if you can only fit 20 minutes in it IS better than noting!
3. Higher intensity workouts will keep you burning more calories for and up to 24-36 hours. The harder you work = more calories burned due to the higher metabolic rate you will stimulated.
4. Avoid going to a party or dinner hungry - have protein and healthy fats – such as chicken breast and avocado. Eat this meal a couple hours before, as this will keep you away from naughty little snacks that might be offered before the main meal.
5. When going out for a drink just try and drink plenty of water during the day and in-between drinks when you are out – this may help you avoid the dreaded hangover the following day, and here are some of the smartest choices, which are containing the least calories to minimize the ''damage'':
• White wine 175ml: 116-130 kcal (as dryer as fewer calories)
• White wine Spritzer 175ml: 116-130 kcal (as dryer as fewer calories)
• Per pint a beer on average 165-200 kcal (as lighter as fewer calories)
• Gin & Slimline Tonic 59 kcal (Gin & Tonic 120kcal)
• Vodka Lime & Soda Single 76 kcal.
Enjoy the summer, but be savvy and maintain that balance!